Did You Claim Your Website As A Business Expense?
Small business who incur expenses creating or maintaining their business website may be able to claim some of the costs as a deduction in their tax return.
You may even be able to claim costs incurred before your business starts. This can be claimed over five years (20% of the cost per year) once the business begins.
Simplified depreciation rules
If you have chosen to use the simplified depreciation rules, you may immediately deduct the expense.
- If you incurred the expense between 12 May 2015 and 30 June 2017 and the cost is:
- less than $20,000 – you can claim a deduction for the full cost in the income year they incurred the expenditure
- $20,000 or more – you can allocate the cost to a general small business pool
- If you incurred the expense between 1 January 2014 and 12 May 2015 and the cost is:
- less than $1,000 – you can claim a deduction for the full cost in the income year they incurred the expenditure
- $1,000 or more – you allocate the cost to a general small business pool.
Small business clients can also claim a deduction for the ongoing expenses of running and maintaining their website, such as domain name registration and server-hosting. They can claim these in the income year they incurred the expense.
This information is general, please refer to your Accountant and the Taxation Office for deductions specific to your business. For more information please visit the Australian Taxation Office website.
What makes a business website great? I'm sure it's no surprise to anyone that business websites make up the majority of sites found on the web. The question of what makes a great business website is a question that is asked by every business owner who wants to be...read more
The question of website speed is often discussed in the world of web development. Some developers will tell you that certain software is slow. Are there some systems which are innately faster? Yes, there are…read more
Are You Damaging Your Business With A Lousy Instagram Account? Instagram can be hugely beneficial to your business. It gives your company an image, builds its personality and gives users a means of interacting with you. That said, there...read more
LET US PUT THE PUZZLE PIECES TOGETHER
Custom designed solutions for your business marketing needs