Did You Claim Your Website As A Business Expense?
Small business who incur expenses creating or maintaining their business website may be able to claim some of the costs as a deduction in their tax return.
You may even be able to claim costs incurred before your business starts. This can be claimed over five years (20% of the cost per year) once the business begins.
Simplified depreciation rules
If you have chosen to use the simplified depreciation rules, you may immediately deduct the expense.
- If you incurred the expense between 12 May 2015 and 30 June 2017 and the cost is:
- less than $20,000 – you can claim a deduction for the full cost in the income year they incurred the expenditure
- $20,000 or more – you can allocate the cost to a general small business pool
- If you incurred the expense between 1 January 2014 and 12 May 2015 and the cost is:
- less than $1,000 – you can claim a deduction for the full cost in the income year they incurred the expenditure
- $1,000 or more – you allocate the cost to a general small business pool.
Small business clients can also claim a deduction for the ongoing expenses of running and maintaining their website, such as domain name registration and server-hosting. They can claim these in the income year they incurred the expense.
This information is general, please refer to your Accountant and the Taxation Office for deductions specific to your business. For more information please visit the Australian Taxation Office website.
What a wonderful experience to be interviewed by Tony Curl founder of Think & Grow Business for the Redlands Coast Business Show recently. It's really interesting to see how the conversation flowed so easily and how much I enjoyed telling my story to someone...
If the current COVID-19 crisis means that you have more time on your hands than usual, why not get ahead of the game? We’d like to offer our top 5 ways to get ahead of the game during a crisis:1. Use your time to make plans for the future When everyone else is wasting...
The short answer is a resounding “YES!” With the uptake in voice activated activities, more and more people are asking "Hey Google" or "Hey Siri" to find products and services online. If your business is not listed on Apple Maps, you could be missing out on a big...
LET US PUT THE PUZZLE PIECES TOGETHER
Custom designed solutions for your business marketing needs